General License Information
All Montana nonresident licenses are designated for both archery and rifle hunting. Montana does not allow crossbow hunting during archery season nor does it have a muzzleloader only season.
For MT hunting regulations or other information, click on the following link:
General Elk/Deer License Applications Due
Spring Black Bear License Deadline
Mountain Goat License Applications Due
License Costs & Fees
Preference Point: $50
There are special requirements for archery hunters. They must purchase a Bow and Arrow License in addition to a Big Game license. If this is your first time archery hunting in Montana, you must have proof of having archery hunted in another state a previous year OR proof of a bowhunter education class in order to obtain the Bow and Arrow License.
Preference Point $50
The youth hunter can obtain this license only after a Big Game license is purchased by a parent or grandparent. The applicant must be under 18 at the time of application processing.
In order to purchase a MT nonresident Bear License, the hunter must take a bear identification test online: Bear Identification Test
License Fee: $1250 (If Drawn)
Bonus Point: $20
We offer hunts in goat districts 323 and 330. Non-residents can only apply in district 323.
Bonus Point System
- The fee to participate in the bonus point system is $20.00
- You must pay the fee when applying to use or gain bonus points
- Applicants accumulate one bonus point for each unsuccessful year. Bonus points become extra chances in future drawings.
- The number or chances in a drawing equals the existin bonus points squared plus one.
- Once successful, the applicant loses all points for that species.
- Bonus Points are accumulated independently for each species and only apply to "first-choice" districts.
- An applicant may skip two consecutive years of participation without forfeiting accumulated points, but if an applicant misses the third year, all accumulated points for that species will be lost. Rejection of an application because of applicant error is equivalent to failure to apply.
- Bonus points are non-transferable.
- Applicants cannot apply just for a bonus point.
- Current bonus point status is available online
- If short money for bonus points, no bonus points will be applied to any of the species choices.